Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Secular Humanism, Take 2

Let me try again.  Perhaps I am approaching this the wrong way.   After all, I don't want to convince Secular Humanists and Atheists that there is no reason for them to pursue special needs adoption.  I want to convince them that it is a good idea, even without religion.

I suppose I would probably start by showing this video.  Or perhaps this one.  Accompanied by the statistics, explaining how children born with special needs are generally neglected and malnourished, and their life expectancy is usually in the teens.

I could then link to various stories of transformation when these children, often in dismal condition, are adopted and loved unconditionally by families who are committed to seeing them as beautiful, capable, and full of potential.  Yes, most of those families would say "created in G*d's image", but it means the same thing, no..?

Would that be motivating enough?  Would that inspire someone to take on the paperwork, the expense, the unknown difficulties of adjusting to life with an adopted child with special needs?  Would a family be able to continue seeing this child as "beautiful, capable and full of potential" if the transformation is slow in coming?  If the child's health deteriorates, or she dies, would they be able to still continue and rescue other children?

Now, I know that even many "religious" families of all persuasions are held back by considerations such as these.  But it seems as though faith can be a pathway to overcoming them.  If you are not religious, what would it take to inspire you?






6 comments:

  1. I'm not religious. What inspired me to help however I can, and adopt someday in the future if I'm able and a bit older, is knowing the great need. Knowing that everyone is beautiful, capable, and worthy of all of the love in the world. I grew up in the US foster system, and I know I'm very lucky to have been given these chances in life, and want to share them wih others and help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! It is wonderful that you want to "pay it forward". At the same time, you do have a "personal connection" to adoption, so this is probably not just because of "knowing the great need", but having experienced it. Do you think you will pursue a special needs adoption? I look forward to seeing how your story unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so, once I'm out of school, which will be awhile! I'm only 19. The personal connection does help, but I've talked to others at school about the crisis, and now another wants to get involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I guess one secular approach is simply to raise awareness in people who are young enough to be naturally idealistic, and less constrained by pragmatic concerns and inhibitions. Younger people tend to be risk-takers in other fields of endeavor, so that does make sense. On the other hand, there are age restrictions on most adoption routes, so we still need to figure out how to sustain that idealism into full adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say your formula is the perfect one, because this is EXACTLY what convinced me of the urgent need for special needs adoption! Video 1 + Video 2 + amazing transformation stories = amazing, complete, restorative change of heart. Isn't the NEED inspiring enough, coupled with the genuine desire to adopt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope so! How does your participation in UU work with this? What inspirational texts support a secular motivation for special needs adoption? It does seem as though people do get a lot of spiritual/emotional support from their sacred texts. I get the sense that people need something like that in order to overcome the challenges of a special needs adoption (both before and after!). I agree that it does not NEED to be theistic (that's why I started this thread!) but I do wonder what it looks like. I think that the need is inspiring enough to start something like this, but not to see it through.

    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf