Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lag Ba'Omer

The fifty days from Pesach to Shavuot is traditionally counted, day by day and week by week, as the "Omer" - "Sheaf".  This is an agricultural practice, counting the days to the first harvest.  It is a somber time, during which traditional Jews do not hold weddings or other celebrations, and many refrain from haircuts during this time, as well.

Except for Lag Ba'Omer -- the 33rd day of the counting.  Israeli bridal shops do a brisk business in the weeks just before this date, and men's beards and hair is trimmed back from the leonine growth of over a month.  Children celebrate by picnicking and lighting bonfires in commemoration of the campaigns of Bar Kochba against the Romans 60 years after the fall of the Temple.

Here in the US we usually barely notice this holiday.  But today, with the warm spring sunshine, and a serendipitously free afternoon, my husband and I and the 2 little boys set up the porch swing on the back porch, and then I gave three of the four of us haircuts.  My littlest didn't want one, so he still has adorable blond Shirley Temple curls all over his head. Yes, I cut my own hair....  It's a bit shorter than I wanted, but not too bad!  Daddy and the big boy look great, though!

Not until after we were done did I realize that it actually is exactly Lag Ba'Omer today.  How cool is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf